Newbie Q

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Newbie Q

Postby jaw175 on Tue May 06, 2008 1:32 pm

Problem seems simple enough.....I have WinHE on Hda, also suse 10.3, with Ubuntu on Hdd. Ubuntu was the last I installed. For some reason, though WinHE shows up in U's Grub menu, it wont boot. Furthermore, U has broken the downloading sys updates with the new Nvidia driver........so, I intend to replace it with Mint.
If I do this will/can Mint see and config all os's into its Grub menu? TIA for any help/advice..
jaw175
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie Q

Postby Lantesh on Tue May 06, 2008 2:01 pm

jaw175 wrote:though WinHE shows up in U's Grub menu, it wont boot

The file /boot/grub/menu.lst controls the boot menu. Most likely something didn't configure in there correctly when you did your install. I see you have Suse installed. I don't know if Suse uses Grub as it's boot loader, but if it does you should be able to copy the relevant information from it's menu.lst file, and add it to the Ubuntu file. In Ubuntu the file is edited with this this command from the terminal: sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Here is an example from my PC. You would have to make adjustments for this to work for you.

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sdb1
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rivenought on Tue May 06, 2008 3:05 pm

Lantesh, yes, grub is used with openSUSE 10.3. Just wanted to answer your question.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby donec on Tue May 06, 2008 3:28 pm

jaw175 wrote:If I do this will/can Mint see and config all os's into its Grub menu? TIA for any help/advice..
I consider myself a newbie also but have tried several distros over the past year or two and the one thing I can't seem to understand is they almost all see Windows OK but I have not found one distro that sees the other Linux distros like Mint, Mepis, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS etc. without having to manually insert the proper lines into the menu.ls file. So in answer to your question Jaw175 I doubt it will see and config all the OS's automatically.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions