2 questions, compiz and emerald

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

2 questions, compiz and emerald

Postby The Linux Mint on Tue May 06, 2008 6:21 pm

I have some quick questions, I'm having a little trouble setting my water effect initiation key, anyone know how to do it?

Question2:
I downloaded emerald theme manager from the package manager, and I went to the repositories tab to access themes. I clicked the GPL themes and it searches for them for about a half a second, then quits. Theres a message saying to get to non GPL themes you need to do this... I have svn installed but the error still remains. What can I do?
The Linux Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 2 questions, compiz and emerald

Postby Cambo105 on Wed May 07, 2008 7:58 am

I'm not sure about your first question, as my card does not support the water effect. But for the second question, I get all my themes from http://www.gnome-look.org/ , on account of I had the same problem your are having.
Keep your stick on the ice.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Cambo105
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Ookami on Wed May 07, 2008 9:17 am

The standard initiation key for rain is Shift-F9. I have trouble changing the key combinations myself, it usually takes a long time for me to change it.

I'm not sure, but I think if you double-click under Key, where it says 'Disabled' until it says 'New Accelerator', you can set a key combination to initiate the ripple effect. I personally use Shift-F10, because it's right next to F9 :)
Ookami
Level 3
Level 3

Postby The Linux Mint on Wed May 07, 2008 4:49 pm

Ok, It is now working, thanks

A question though, what does the wiper effect do, when I use it it doesn't seem to do anything.

btw the themes on the gnome theme site are reputable right? no virus....
The Linux Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ookami on Wed May 07, 2008 6:08 pm

It just runs an invisible wiper across the screen, from side to side - you can see the rain ripples disappear if you have Rain running, as if you were sitting in a car with the wipers on.

And the themes on the gnome theme site work fine, it's gonna take one hell of a dumbass to put a virus in an open-source program, I assure you :P
Ookami
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions