2 questions, compiz and emerald

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

2 questions, compiz and emerald

Postby The Linux Mint on Tue May 06, 2008 6:21 pm

I have some quick questions, I'm having a little trouble setting my water effect initiation key, anyone know how to do it?

Question2:
I downloaded emerald theme manager from the package manager, and I went to the repositories tab to access themes. I clicked the GPL themes and it searches for them for about a half a second, then quits. Theres a message saying to get to non GPL themes you need to do this... I have svn installed but the error still remains. What can I do?
The Linux Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 2 questions, compiz and emerald

Postby Cambo105 on Wed May 07, 2008 7:58 am

I'm not sure about your first question, as my card does not support the water effect. But for the second question, I get all my themes from http://www.gnome-look.org/ , on account of I had the same problem your are having.
Keep your stick on the ice.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Cambo105
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Ookami on Wed May 07, 2008 9:17 am

The standard initiation key for rain is Shift-F9. I have trouble changing the key combinations myself, it usually takes a long time for me to change it.

I'm not sure, but I think if you double-click under Key, where it says 'Disabled' until it says 'New Accelerator', you can set a key combination to initiate the ripple effect. I personally use Shift-F10, because it's right next to F9 :)
Ookami
Level 3
Level 3

Postby The Linux Mint on Wed May 07, 2008 4:49 pm

Ok, It is now working, thanks

A question though, what does the wiper effect do, when I use it it doesn't seem to do anything.

btw the themes on the gnome theme site are reputable right? no virus....
The Linux Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ookami on Wed May 07, 2008 6:08 pm

It just runs an invisible wiper across the screen, from side to side - you can see the rain ripples disappear if you have Rain running, as if you were sitting in a car with the wipers on.

And the themes on the gnome theme site work fine, it's gonna take one hell of a dumbass to put a virus in an open-source program, I assure you :P
Ookami
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions