LM14 XFCE missing titlebar and some confusing GUI

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

LM14 XFCE missing titlebar and some confusing GUI

Postby Eucalyptus on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi,

Using LM14 XFCE x64. Can you please give me some advices to fix these GUI oddities?

1. Missing titlebar on custom theme
I installed in /usr/share/themes: Ambiance & Radiance For Xfce & LXDE 12.04
When I select this theme, the titlebar is missing:

The titlebar is not simply invisible, it is really missing (unresponsive to double click or drag/drop). Same thing aslo happens for the Greybird theme. Others standards themes that came with XFCE work OK.

2. Disable "Aerosnap" not working
Control Center / Window Manager: Advanced Tab:
- UNCHECK "Snap Window to screen Border"
- UNCHECK "Snap Window to other windows"
Each time, I grad the window up and touch the top border of the screen, the window is maximized in a weird way: take 100% screen width, 50% screen height.

3. Thunar: Drag and Drop a single file often becomes multi-select
I click on a file, hold the click, and drag the file to another place. Instead of the drag action, the cursor extends the selection to other files to become a multi-select. The only way to make Thunar understand that I want to Drag drop a the selected file is to release the mouse button, wait briefly (to avoid Thunar interpret my intention as a double mouse click) and then drag the file to the destination.

Thanks very much in advance for any help.
Eucalyptus
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LM14 XFCE missing titlebar and some confusing GUI

Postby Eucalyptus on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:05 am

Answer found: That's LinuxMint 14 XFCE issues. There are other graphical glitches missing border, the driver Nouveau doesn't allow my graphic card to use 1920 resolution. Yesterday, after a system update, X Server could no longer start. I then installed Xubuntu 12.10 and everything works perfectly right out of the box. All the instalibities issues I had with LM14 XFCE are gone. I would even say I couldn't believe XFCE could be that good. Even the Xubuntu login screen is better.
Eucalyptus
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions