meaning of terminal colors?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

meaning of terminal colors?

Postby jms on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:58 am

Hi, simple question here - how can you find what the meaning of the various colors in the terminal window are? Sometimes files or directories are different colors or even shaded, and sometimes they're all the same color.

Thanks.
jms
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: meaning of terminal colors?

Postby Mechrawr on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:54 am

Code: Select all
ls -gG

This will both give you the long-listing including permissions but remove the user and group info (just to remove clutter).
Basically, the first column is what you're looking for. There are different colour schemes based on every terminal emulator and their settings, but they will generally be based on whether the item is a directory (denoted by the first d) as well as the combination of permissions: read, write and execute; three times in order of item owner (the owner can do these), item group (the group with which the owner is associated can do these) and any [other] (anyone can do these). These permissions can be changed with
Code: Select all
chmod [options] [file]

This page should help with using chmod.
Never accept the simple answers; the journey through complexity is where learning takes place.
Mechrawr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exchaoordo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:33 pm

I had the same question, but I don't think you got an answer yet. I haven't changed an settings for the terminal and some things show up as green, others blue, I think blue is directories and white is files, but some things show up green and I don't know what that is supposed to mean.
exchaoordo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bjornmu on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 pm

I don't know where you'll find a full list, but green means the file has the execute bit set, meaning it probably is an executable program/script.

Character devices are yellow, sockets are purple... I thought softlinks should be red if they pointed to something that didn't exist. Hmm they do on my Fedora 13 box, the linked-to nonexistent file even blinks. :) This is configurable, your Mint may not do the same as mine....
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Postby exchaoordo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Okay, I found this:
http://linux.about.com/od/linux101/l/blnewbie5_4.htm

Seems to have the basic colors.
exchaoordo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions