VirtualBox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Re: VirtualBox

Post by atlef »

You need to add yourself to the vboxusers group. Go to user and groups, manage groups and add your user to the vboxusers.

atlef.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rhvkl

Post by rhvkl »

Hi,

I've tried VB for some time and in my opinion VMWare is much better... easy config (just select the files from apt-get) and register the vmware server (this is free), sorry that I can't give you support for your problem.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I thought VMWare was $$$?
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

Here is a visual walk through to help you add your user to the vboxusers group. Hope this helps.

Shutdown VirtualBox.
vboxusers.jpg
Restart VirtualBox, and you should be set.

atlef.
rhvkl

Post by rhvkl »

lakehousetech wrote:I thought VMWare was $$$?
Yes, it's a commercial product. No, it doesn't coast $$$ :)

http://vmware.com/products/server/ <-- Just fill in the registration. Didn't get any mail or spam (until now). Only mail you receive is when you order 10 licenses at once.

/edit: installed packages with synaptic on mint 4.0:

vmware-server
xserver-xorg-video-vmware
vmware-server-kernel-modules-2.6.22-14
vmware-server-kernel-modules
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Oh cool. Thanks for the info! I always avoided it because I thought it was pricey. I've always had good experiences with Virtual Box, but i'll check it out when the next version is released.

Return to “Beginner Questions”