[Solved] Software Manager hangs.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Software Manager hangs.

Post by russellz »

Hi,

It used to work OK but now it works OK unless I type anything in the search box. After I type the first character it just freezes and all I can do is force close.

I looked at "top" in a terminal and when it freezes it is hogging 99% of the cpu time.

I tried running it (mintinstall) from a root terminal and the same thing happens. It gives a few status messages at first but when I try searching and it hangs I get no error message. If I then do CTRL-C i get:

Code: Select all

^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 536, in on_search_terms_changed
    self.show_search_results(terms)
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 1407, in show_search_results
    model_applications.set_value(iter, 2, gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file(tmpFile.name + ".png"))
KeyboardInterrupt
The next time I tried it I got:

^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 536, in on_search_terms_changed
    self.show_search_results(terms)
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 1406, in show_search_results
    im.save (tmpFile.name + ".png")
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 1439, in save
    save_handler(self, fp, filename)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/PngImagePlugin.py", line 572, in _save
    ImageFile._save(im, _idat(fp, chunk), [("zip", (0,0)+im.size, 0, rawmode)])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 486, in _save
    l, s, d = e.encode(bufsize)
KeyboardInterrupt
So I guess it is just stuck in a loop somewhere. Can anyone help please.

Russell.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Software Manager hangs.

Post by xenopeek »

russellz wrote:So I guess it is just stuck in a loop somewhere.
Yes, it's searching all package names and all package descriptions (on 63.000+ packages) for any part of the text that matches that one letter you wanted to search for :D If you are a slow typer, or have a slow computer, open the Edit > Preferences menu and disable "Search while typing". Now you can type your search query and it will only start searching after you press enter. That should solve your problem.

For that option to be available you need to be using the latest version of Software Manager, which is installed by default on Linux Mint 14 and available by enabling the backports on Linux Mint 13.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Sorry your having problems. Not sure what is causing it at the moment. but here are a couple things you can try.

1. Go to menu > Administration >synaptic package manager and try searching for your package there. see if it will install from synatpic.

2. In a terminal type the following commands one at a time.

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
sudo apt-get update
Then try sofware manager again.

good luck
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

Thanks xenopeek, that does it.

Thanks also to kc1di, haven't tried your suggestion as xenopeek's did the trick.

Russell.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Glad it's working for you :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
DUCADUCADUC

Re: [Solved] Software Manager hangs.

Post by DUCADUCADUC »

Hi,
I've just started with Mint Nadia and had the same problem and fixed it with xenopeeks suggestion. It pays to search the previous questions!

Return to “Beginner Questions”