Support for Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Support for Linux Mint

Postby bme on Thu May 08, 2008 1:23 pm

Hi,
I am new to linux mint having used Ubuntu and got tired of downloading,installing codecs and the associated problems that came up with the latest ubuntu version.
I read in the a previous thread the basis for linux mint is still ubuntu....My question is for how long will each version be supported? Will support stop as soon as the ubuntu version from which linux mint was based stops?

More power to dev team and thanks for this distro!
bme
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Support for Linux Mint

Postby Lantesh on Thu May 08, 2008 2:17 pm

That's a good question, and perhaps a bit complicated. Hopefully someone from the Mint team sees this thread and chimes in. Here is my take on things. Most of the repositories for Mint Daryna are actually the same as those for Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon. When Canonical stops updating those repositories then in effect you would be cut off from some updates. What I don't know is just what exactly comes from the Mint repository, and for how long that is supported.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Fred on Thu May 08, 2008 3:29 pm

I could be wrong, but I think I remember Husse saying that the support periods were the same as for the Ubuntu versions that use the same repos.

Hopefully he will correct me if I am wrong.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby MagnusB on Thu May 08, 2008 3:47 pm

For updates, as long as the Ubuntu repos stays online. As for professional support, meh, not so sure.. I guess this will be more defined after Elyssa is released, as this is a LTS.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby bme on Fri May 09, 2008 1:04 am

if mint follows ubuntu updates, we lose some months because the mint version comes later than the ubuntu version-not good but I guess you can't have evrything....
Thanks1 :cry:
Dell Inspiron 640 m Multiboot Mint/Vista/XP
bme
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ede on Fri May 09, 2008 1:38 am

Atm it's HIGHLY unlikely that the ubuntu repositories shuts down. Ubuntu is the most popularf desktop-linux.
If they do announce a shut-down for somewhat reason, I'm sure someone will step up and offer repository hosting for a long time.

If anything else fails, we can change the base to debian and use the debian repositories.

But yes, as a general rule, each version of mint is supported by updates as long as the ubuntu-version we use the repositories from is supported.
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bme on Fri May 09, 2008 3:41 am

I just found out something- I tried to use the Ubuntu 7.10 alternate cd as a repository and tried to install gnome games. Installation failed/was broken.
bme
Level 1
Level 1

Postby locutus on Sat May 10, 2008 12:23 am

I read somewhere that Ubuntu essentially starts from scratch each version, starting with a clean slate so there will be zero compatibility between versions. Seems to me that they are continually re-inventing the wheel, I don't understand the point but seeing as how far they've grown in the last four years, I guess they know what they are doing.

On the brighter side, 8.04 will be supported for the next 18 months, so I guess Mint 5 will last that long too, should you wish it to.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby BAD on Sat May 10, 2008 2:08 am

RE: Locutus you are not supposed to smoke the mint
On the brighter side, 8.04 will be supported for the next 18 months, so I guess Mint 5 will last that long too, should you wish it to.

8.04 has 3years 36months support
We are the LinuxMint. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
BAD
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bme on Sat May 10, 2008 6:20 am

BAD wrote:RE: Locutus you are not supposed to smoke the mint

8.04 has 3years 36months support

Right but linuxmint is a mixture (I think??) of ubuntu and kubuntu....correct me please if I am wrong......ubuntu is 3 years while kubuntu is 18 months.....which is which now?
bme
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BAD on Sat May 10, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: BME
That is a good point Kubuntu does not have LTS

I would say Mint will be supported the same as each release of Ubuntu. Why would it be any different.
We are the LinuxMint. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
BAD
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Sat May 10, 2008 4:42 pm

@ BAD I really like your nick :) A StarTrek fan by any chance :)
The main edition will definitely be supported (at least) as long as Hardy and I think we will at least try to make the KDE edition LTS. This has however also to do with how repos are updated and unfortunately Kubuntu does not have LTS so the result may be LTS for the Mint tools
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions