Support for Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lantesh

Re: Support for Linux Mint

Post by Lantesh »

That's a good question, and perhaps a bit complicated. Hopefully someone from the Mint team sees this thread and chimes in. Here is my take on things. Most of the repositories for Mint Daryna are actually the same as those for Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon. When Canonical stops updating those repositories then in effect you would be cut off from some updates. What I don't know is just what exactly comes from the Mint repository, and for how long that is supported.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I could be wrong, but I think I remember Husse saying that the support periods were the same as for the Ubuntu versions that use the same repos.

Hopefully he will correct me if I am wrong.

Fred
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

For updates, as long as the Ubuntu repos stays online. As for professional support, meh, not so sure.. I guess this will be more defined after Elyssa is released, as this is a LTS.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I read somewhere that Ubuntu essentially starts from scratch each version, starting with a clean slate so there will be zero compatibility between versions. Seems to me that they are continually re-inventing the wheel, I don't understand the point but seeing as how far they've grown in the last four years, I guess they know what they are doing.

On the brighter side, 8.04 will be supported for the next 18 months, so I guess Mint 5 will last that long too, should you wish it to.
BAD

Post by BAD »

RE: Locutus you are not supposed to smoke the mint
On the brighter side, 8.04 will be supported for the next 18 months, so I guess Mint 5 will last that long too, should you wish it to.

8.04 has 3years 36months support
BAD

Post by BAD »

Re: BME
That is a good point Kubuntu does not have LTS

I would say Mint will be supported the same as each release of Ubuntu. Why would it be any different.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ BAD I really like your nick :) A StarTrek fan by any chance :)
The main edition will definitely be supported (at least) as long as Hardy and I think we will at least try to make the KDE edition LTS. This has however also to do with how repos are updated and unfortunately Kubuntu does not have LTS so the result may be LTS for the Mint tools

Return to “Beginner Questions”