Minor irritation with Numlock

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Minor irritation with Numlock

Post by russellz »

When I boot my machine the BIOS switches Numlock on however as soon as the login screen appears the Numlock goes off. As I have a French keyboard requiring shift for the numbers I habitually use the number pad. My usual passwords contain numbers and letters so, being a forgetfull old fart, I have to try two or three times to login.

Is there any way to set numlock for the login screen? I have added "numlockx on" to the startup programs but that doesn't get actioned until login.

Russell.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
RavenLX

Re: Minor irritation with Numlock

Post by RavenLX »

I'm using KDE so I went into Applications - Settings - System Settings and then in the Hardware section, go to Input Devices. On the left, select Keyboard. In the Hardware tab you'll see some options for NumLock on KDE Startup. Be sure to click in "Turn on". Click Apply, Exit the dialog and reboot. You should now get the NumLock on by default. There's also an option to Turn Off for those who rather have the NumLock off as default.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

RavenLX wrote:I'm using KDE so I went into Applications - Settings - System Settings and then in the Hardware section, go to Input Devices. On the left, select Keyboard. In the Hardware tab you'll see some options for NumLock on KDE Startup. Be sure to click in "Turn on". Click Apply, Exit the dialog and reboot. You should now get the NumLock on by default. There's also an option to Turn Off for those who rather have the NumLock off as default.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry, forgot to mention I'm using Linux Mint Mate rather than KDE. There doesn't seem to be that setting in Mate - or at least I can't find it.

Russell.
Laptop: HP17bs086nf, Intel Core i5-7200U, Intel HD Graphics 620 . Mint Cinnamon 21.1
Desktop: ASUS Prime B760-plus D4 motherboard, AMD Radeon RX6500XT, Intel 12th gen i7 12 core 3500MHz, 8GB ram, 500GB Samsung SSD, Mint Cinnamon 21.1
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

Tried a few things;

1. I put "setleds -D +num" at the end of the rc.local file. That turned the numlock LED on but not the keyboard action.

2. I tried numlockx on in the rc.local file - no effect. I gues it only works after X has started?

Any other suggestions?

Russell
RavenLX

Post by RavenLX »

rc.local is for the terminal bootup. I would try looking for the mate login screen configuration either in the GUI or the file that it looks at when it runs. I think that is where it is either getting turned off or not present. Might want to try looking for a file: ~/.config/mate and see if it's in there somewhere.

Also your command is not turning on any numlock, just the LEDs. You need a command to turn the numlock feature on itself.

Here's another idea to try: http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 8&start=20
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/wha ... inux-35692
  • System -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layout -> Layout Options -> Miscellaneous compatibility options -> turn on "Default numeric keypad keys"
Does that work, from the complaint/blog link above

It is likely from the desktop/OS viewpoint to be related to some keyboard device selection setting
thomZz

Post by thomZz »

DrHu wrote:http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/wha ... inux-35692
  • System -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layout -> Layout Options -> Miscellaneous compatibility options -> turn on "Default numeric keypad keys"

It is likely from the desktop/OS viewpoint to be related to some keyboard device selection setting
It works for me !

Thanks, that's what i was looking for.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

DrHu wrote:http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/wha ... inux-35692

That's an interesting blog. Unfortunately the solution doesn't work for me.

Russell.
RavenLX

Post by RavenLX »

I think what would be nice is a tutorial on how to turn on the numlock in each of the DEs.
russellz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by russellz »

The problem with setleds (btw with -D it sets the flags as well as the leds) is that it only seems to work from a Console and only works for that console. It doesn't work from a Terminal.

I thought it might be the Login theme so I tried a different one but no change.

The numlock light is on when BIOS does it's thing but goes off as Linux Mint starts to load so there must be something in one of the startup scripts but I can't find it :(

Russell.

Return to “Beginner Questions”