Virtualbox in LM 13 KDE not working after KDE 4.9 upgrade

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Virtualbox in LM 13 KDE not working after KDE 4.9 upgrade

Postby jack rooster on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:26 pm

Hello,

I had Virtualbox setup and working fine until I upgraded from KDE 4.8 to 4.9. Now I get the following messages:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine wind7.
The virtual machine 'wind7' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1.

then...

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

Can someeone help me?
Dell Vostro 3750 laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 320GB 7200 rpm SATA-300 HDD, Linux Mint 15 KDE 64-bit (my primary OS), Cinnamon (for the occasional KDE login problem), Windows 7 (MS Office / Diablo 2)
jack rooster
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Virtualbox in LM 13 KDE not working after KDE 4.9 upgrad

Postby jack rooster on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:11 am

I tried running the command 'sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' in the terminal but got 'command not found'. I read somthing about the kernal headers so I checked the kernal headers in Synaptic and found I have Kernel Headers 3.2 instead of 3.0.0.12.

Last time I had this problem I just reformatted my drive and reinstalled Linux Mint. I'd like to avoid doing it again.
Dell Vostro 3750 laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 320GB 7200 rpm SATA-300 HDD, Linux Mint 15 KDE 64-bit (my primary OS), Cinnamon (for the occasional KDE login problem), Windows 7 (MS Office / Diablo 2)
jack rooster
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions