"Do nothing" actually does something

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Darkraven

"Do nothing" actually does something

Post by Darkraven »

Hello everyone,

sorry if this topic was already covered in another thread, but if that's the case I couldn't find it. Yesterday I installed Mint 13 MATE and I realised that the Power Manager did not include the "do nothing" option when closing the laptop lid (in an AC connection, to be more specific). Through mateconf-editor I could add this option, and I made it my default. In the office I connect my netbook to a larger screen and I'd like to work only with that one and have the netbook lid closed meanwhile. Although I selected the "do nothing" option, when I close the lid the large screen goes blank. I'm pretty sure that my monitors settings are correct: large screen is on and netbook screen is off. This works exactly as I wish when the netbook lid is open, but as I said, it doesn't as soon as I close it.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Darkraven

Re: "Do nothing" actually does something

Post by Darkraven »

I tried editing the file ~/.mateconf/apps/mate-power-manager/buttons/%mateconf.xml. As expected the string 'nothing' was already there for the lid_ac option, so apparently everything is correct. However, while editing the file (as root user) several messages appeared in the terminal warning me that changes could not be stored in /root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel. Something very similar happened when editing /root/.mateconf/apps/mate-power-manager/buttons/%mateconf.xml. Does this make any sense to you? Can this explain the problem or these are two non-related questions?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Beginner Questions”