Preferred 'flavor' and installing from USB

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hermonski

Preferred 'flavor' and installing from USB

Post by hermonski »

Hi everyone,

I'm an absolute newbie to Linux, and having looked at many different versions I've decided to dip my toe in the water with Mint 14. I have two quick questions I'd appreciate your opinion on:

- Which 'flavor' of Mint 14 would you recommend I start with (I'll be installing on my old Acer Aspire One D250)

- What's the recommended approach for installing from a usb stick (as the netbook has no optical drive)?

Many thanks,
Hermonski
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Preferred 'flavor' and installing from USB

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

By default,as far as I know, Aspire only has 1GB of ram which means you can't run Cinnamon comfortably nor KDE. That leaves Mate or XFCE both are really so similar it's just a matter or preference which one you choose, though XFCE can with lower ram usage then MATE.

Moreover I wouldn't try Mint 14. Nadia seems to be too buggy so I recommend stick with the Long Term Support (LTS) version of Mint,Maya (Mint 13).

How to install using USB
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 09#p632276
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pThafQXJa0Y [create an USB installer using Windows]
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
hermonski

Re: Preferred 'flavor' and installing from USB

Post by hermonski »

Thanks for posting such a great response, TheDynamicHamza21.

You're correct; it does have only 1GB of RAM. On your advice I'll give 13/Maya a go (and I think I'll opt for XFCE as it's not a very beefy computer).

Cheers! :)

EDIT It installed and runs perfectly. Thank you! <3

Hermonski

Return to “Beginner Questions”