Installing burg

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Installing burg

Postby LeafTheBerry on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Hello.

First of all, I'd like to note that I'm a complete beginner. Today is the first time I installed linux.
After some research i decided to go for linux mint 14 (cinnamon). I really like it so far.

However I have one question. I saw some guides on how to install burg.

I followed this procedure:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:n-muench/burg
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install burg burg-themes
sudo update-burg

But after restart, I'm still in grub. Can someone write down a complete newbie guide for me please? =D

edit: forgot to mention (don't know if it's importatnt, I'm dual-booting with windows8 )
LeafTheBerry
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing burg

Postby zerozero on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:01 pm

LeafTheBerry wrote:edit: forgot to mention (don't know if it's importatnt, I'm dual-booting with windows8 )
i believe that this is part of the problem: if you have of the new windows8 certified hardware, you have also UEFI and burg has no (u)efi support (as far as i can see)
the second problem is that burg is a stalled project: they have now a new build (released 4 weeks ago) after 42 weeks without any activity (and in linux time 42 weeks is an eternity) and furthermore this new build is nothing more than the old one repackaged
check here https://launchpad.net/~n-muench/+archive/burg

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby LeafTheBerry on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:42 pm

First of all, I would like to thank you for quick reply.

That's really unfortunate, since i really liked the look of burg. Can i ask you if you know about any visual alternative?
Cause the plane text isn't that attractive =D

Thanks
Leaf
LeafTheBerry
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zerozero on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:07 pm

the only option i can see is grub customizer http://www.noobslab.com/2012/11/install ... buntu.html

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Newbie Questions