<SOLVED>USB drive acting strange - doesn't show current spac

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
extraslow

<SOLVED>USB drive acting strange - doesn't show current spac

Post by extraslow »

Hi all, I did a quick search for this, but didn't see anything. If it's already been covered, let me know.
I'm on Linux Mint 14 cinnamon Nadia 32 bit (phew!)
The USB drives in question are formatted to "msdos" and are USB 2.0 devices.

When I put a USB drive into the usb port, it pops up a little "home" window showing me the contents. I can right click on the name of the drive, select properties and it'll tell me the capacity of the drive and how much space is free or used. So far, so good. let's say it's a 4 Gb drive, and I have 2 Gb of files on it.

The issues comes when I delete files off that drive. if I delete every file off the drive, and then go to properties again, it sill shows exactly the same result as if the files are still there. (still 2 Gb of files) even though it's not showing any files in the window, and it lists the contents as "nothing".

This has happened to me on two different USB drives, and since I'm an old windows user, I tried a restart to see if anything changed, but it didn't. I feel like this has to be something simple, so, help please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thegreatgazoo

Re: USB drive acting strange - doesn't show current space av

Post by thegreatgazoo »

If you just click " delete" they get moved to a hidden trash folder. So the files are still they taking up the same amount of space.

Try pressing "shift+delete" to bypass the trashcan and really delete the files.

Or normally delete the files then empty the trash afterwards.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
extraslow

Re: USB drive acting strange - doesn't show current space av

Post by extraslow »

Excellent, It's a good thing I posted this in the newbie section.

Clearing the trash worked great.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”