auto login

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

auto login

Postby SandrA on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:21 am

Dear all

I installed Mint 14 a couple of days ago and am thrilled with the experience: thank you SO much for developing this OS!

One issue I can't seem to fix is getting auto login to stick. I've set up a family Standard a/c - called "us" - in addition to the admin a/c. I have set prefs. via the admin a/c to auto login 'us' but it doesn't work: the PC bots to a login window asking for a username, then password. I also tried setting this pref. in the 'us' a/c, which unsurprisingly also didn't work.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

A BIG thanks for any help,

Sandra
LM 14 Cinnamon on Dell Latitude D620
SandrA
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: auto login

Postby Orbmiser on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:49 am

I may be wrong? But believe I read some where that it works with only a single account computer?
Hope someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in with more info on the issue.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby SandrA on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:50 am

You're right: autologin works after deleting the Standard a/c. So now I always (auto) login as an administrator (... good policy?

Thanks very much for the tip Orbmiser,

x S
LM 14 Cinnamon on Dell Latitude D620
SandrA
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nomko on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:25 am

SandrA wrote:You're right: autologin works after deleting the Standard a/c. So now I always (auto) login as an administrator (... good policy?

Thanks very much for the tip Orbmiser,

x S

Don't forget your password since you need it to become a root user when doing a terminal command!Or installing software using Software Manager or Synaptic. For most, if not all, administrator tasks you need your password
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)*Mint 16

Copy.com

I don't need Google, my wife knows everthing!
nomko
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions