auto login

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SandrA

auto login

Post by SandrA »

Dear all

I installed Mint 14 a couple of days ago and am thrilled with the experience: thank you SO much for developing this OS!

One issue I can't seem to fix is getting auto login to stick. I've set up a family Standard a/c - called "us" - in addition to the admin a/c. I have set prefs. via the admin a/c to auto login 'us' but it doesn't work: the PC bots to a login window asking for a username, then password. I also tried setting this pref. in the 'us' a/c, which unsurprisingly also didn't work.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

A BIG thanks for any help,

Sandra
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: auto login

Post by Orbmiser »

I may be wrong? But believe I read some where that it works with only a single account computer?
Hope someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in with more info on the issue.
SandrA

Post by SandrA »

You're right: autologin works after deleting the Standard a/c. So now I always (auto) login as an administrator (... good policy?

Thanks very much for the tip Orbmiser,

x S
nomko

Post by nomko »

SandrA wrote:You're right: autologin works after deleting the Standard a/c. So now I always (auto) login as an administrator (... good policy?

Thanks very much for the tip Orbmiser,

x S
Don't forget your password since you need it to become a root user when doing a terminal command!Or installing software using Software Manager or Synaptic. For most, if not all, administrator tasks you need your password

Return to “Beginner Questions”