my mint is now obsolete! help [SOLVED, sort of]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MHull

Re: my mint is now obsolete! help

Post by MHull »

OK, made it as far as boot 32 bit from usb stick but then get the following on the screen:

SYSLINUX 4.02 debian-20101016 EDD Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al
No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
boot : _

Now what???
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I think you just hit enter, but I can't recall. That was one problem I remember having with unetbootin. That's why I usually use the linuxlive application on windows.

See this archwiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US ... tion_Media. It seems Unetbootin does break stuff. Those steps should work though.
Also, the standard Ubuntu interface works. See http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/cre ... -on-ubuntu. You will need to install it from the package manager like so:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install usb-creator-gtk
Then follow the rest of the steps on that Ubuntu page, or figure it out yourself.

When you reinstall, you usually want to manually partition the disks and create a seperate / and /home partition. You shouldn't do that since you only have an 8GB HDD it seems. So just reinstall using the same setup you have and enjoy.
MHull

Post by MHull »

Brilliant!! the standard Ubuntu worked!! Thank you all so much for your help. Now I just have to learn the new system and restore my data. :D
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Glad you got it working. If you could edit the title of your original post to include [SOLVED], that would be appreciated.
MHull

Post by MHull »

This is going from bad to worse! I managed to get the 32 bit version on the stick. Downloaded it to my computer, upgraded everything that needed it, reinstalled my software from the backup program (which I had previously used to backup my data and software) tried to reinstall my data and it doesn't work. Had to shut down computer and the next time I tried to logon it wouldn't let me and said the session only lasted 10 seconds so might be a memory problem. Tried to start over again and noticed that it said it was installing everything on a disk that was only 8.1 GB and would use the whole thing. Noticed that there was another disk which was 32.something GB so put it on that. Then it wouldn't accept the password that I had setup during the installation so started over again to recheck password then it said there were multiple versions on computer so I said overwrite all. Same result when I went to logon it wouldn't accept the second password. Looked at little session window and said start a new session which then miraculously produced the very first version off the 8.1 disk but I still can't reinstall my data from the backup tool and I don't know what will happen the next time I shut down.
Can someone tell me how to start all over again and onto which disk (i.e. the 8.1 or the 32) I need to use? I have now spent 3 days trying to do this and am getting extremely frustrated with the whole thing.
kingnick42

Post by kingnick42 »

MHull wrote:Yay! thanks that worked, but unfortunately it says something doesn't have enough space/mem so will have to start over again with the 32 bit version I guess.... :roll:
Could you try again, and write down the exact message please?

Cheers
kingnick42

Post by kingnick42 »

MHull wrote:Yay! thanks that worked, but unfortunately it says something doesn't have enough space/mem so will have to start over again with the 32 bit version I guess.... :roll:
Could you try again, and write down the exact message please?

Cheers
kingnick42

Post by kingnick42 »

MHull wrote:This is going from bad to worse! I managed to get the 32 bit version on the stick. Downloaded it to my computer, upgraded everything that needed it, reinstalled my software from the backup program (which I had previously used to backup my data and software) tried to reinstall my data and it doesn't work. Had to shut down computer and the next time I tried to logon it wouldn't let me and said the session only lasted 10 seconds so might be a memory problem. Tried to start over again and noticed that it said it was installing everything on a disk that was only 8.1 GB and would use the whole thing. Noticed that there was another disk which was 32.something GB so put it on that. Then it wouldn't accept the password that I had setup during the installation so started over again to recheck password then it said there were multiple versions on computer so I said overwrite all. Same result when I went to logon it wouldn't accept the second password. Looked at little session window and said start a new session which then miraculously produced the very first version off the 8.1 disk but I still can't reinstall my data from the backup tool and I don't know what will happen the next time I shut down.
Can someone tell me how to start all over again and onto which disk (i.e. the 8.1 or the 32) I need to use? I have now spent 3 days trying to do this and am getting extremely frustrated with the whole thing.
Ok, please answer all questions and don't do anything else :)

Do you have all your data backed up?
Are there any other operating systems on your computer. (ie windows)

Return to “Beginner Questions”