Suppres halt shutdown for normal users

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Suppres halt shutdown for normal users

Postby ols on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:28 pm

I have installed Mint 14 Mate 64bits on a machine that acts as a small server.
Very nice distro !
As I have several xdmcp clients connected to the main machine, I do not want that any normal user is able to shutdown the machine.
How can I do that ?

Thanks,

Olivier
ols
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Suppres halt shutdown for normal users

Postby DrHu on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Look at the xdm config files..
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/6713/print
    However, you may prefer to set these options to None, in which case the shutdown button will not appear at all in the login window
--you need to find the parameters required to edit the change to prevent a remote (XDMP) client shutdown (server) command from running: should be an option in one of your confiuration files either for the desktop manager (kdm, gdm) or the x-server or the client (remote xserver) controls/config files..
A little specific research for your desktop environment will find it
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Suppres halt shutdown for normal users

Postby ols on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I have succeed to suppress the halt-shutdown-... actions from the login window. That is ok.
But, when a user is logged in, in his main mint menu, he can shutdown all the system by simply click on the shutdown menu entry.
ols
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions