Suppres halt shutdown for normal users

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ols

Suppres halt shutdown for normal users

Post by ols »

I have installed Mint 14 Mate 64bits on a machine that acts as a small server.
Very nice distro !
As I have several xdmcp clients connected to the main machine, I do not want that any normal user is able to shutdown the machine.
How can I do that ?

Thanks,

Olivier
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Suppres halt shutdown for normal users

Post by DrHu »

Look at the xdm config files..
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/6713/print
  • However, you may prefer to set these options to None, in which case the shutdown button will not appear at all in the login window
--you need to find the parameters required to edit the change to prevent a remote (XDMP) client shutdown (server) command from running: should be an option in one of your confiuration files either for the desktop manager (kdm, gdm) or the x-server or the client (remote xserver) controls/config files..
A little specific research for your desktop environment will find it
ols

Re: Suppres halt shutdown for normal users

Post by ols »

Thanks for your reply.

I have succeed to suppress the halt-shutdown-... actions from the login window. That is ok.
But, when a user is logged in, in his main mint menu, he can shutdown all the system by simply click on the shutdown menu entry.

Return to “Beginner Questions”