mint do not open samba in debian

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
logicusbr

mint do not open samba in debian

Post by logicusbr »

friends,

i have a server debian with 3 clients with linux mint, but the machines mint do not open a past of server debian. when i try open show this message "failed to retrieve share list from server".

what i do?

cliente01-Mega-netbook cliente01 # smbclient -L //192.168.1.3 -U escritorio
Enter escritorio's password:
Domain=[LOGICUS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.6]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
print$ Disk Printer Drivers
homes Disk Home Directories
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Servidor Samba)
escritorio Disk Home Directories
Domain=[LOGICUS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.6]

Server Comment
--------- -------
SERVIDOR Servidor Samba

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
LOGICUS SERVIDOR
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: mint do not open samba in debian

Post by altair4 »

Are you trying to connect to or browse to the Debian server by name or by IP address?

A "failed to retrieve share list from server" is usually a netbios name to ip address resolution problem. But if you are trying to connect to the server by ip address and getting that error then that's something different. Almost sounds like a firewall problem to me. Try disabling the firewall on both server and client and try it again.

If you are trying to browse by name the following HowTo will go though a checklist you can use on both the server and client to try to resolve browsing by name issues:
Samba Browsing Problems Checklist: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0

But, since you are using Samba in an all Linux network this becomes way easier. See [3b] section of the following Howto:

Avahi Networking: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=112833
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”