Making remote folders accessible in applications

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Making remote folders accessible in applications

Postby imperium2335 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:13 am

Hi,

I am trying to access a remote folder on my Windows server (specifically from Netbeans). But the only folders/files I can get to are those on my local machine.

Is there a way to make a remote folder usable just like a normal folder so I can work with my remote files?
imperium2335
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Making remote folders accessible in applications

Postby altair4 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 am

Well, first you have to connect to and mount the remote share. If you do that though Nemo/Nautilus/Caja then your Windows share is mounted to one of the following locations depending on what version of Mint you are using:

/home/user-name/.gvfs

OR

/run/user/user-name/gvfs

You can create a bookmark to these locations so that it appears in the left side panel of Nemo/Nautilus/Caja and show up in the Open and Save dialog boxes in your applications.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Newbie Questions