Difference between Ubuntu and Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
henrybear327

Difference between Ubuntu and Linux Mint

Post by henrybear327 »

Hello:
I have just started to learn how to use Linux OS recently. And I am considering using either Ubuntu or Linux Mint.
But I have a question. I learned that Linux Mint was based on Ubuntu. So how are they actually different? Does Linux Mint modify the core files? Or does Linux Mint just develop new desktop environments and put more packages into the system? It seems that Linux Mint is faster than Ubuntu on my computer. So I am kind of wondering.
Thank for those who will answer my question!! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: Difference between Ubuntu and Linux Mint

Post by bimsebasse »

The difference used to be small but as of Mint 12 the desktops in the main editions of the two distros became very different. Ubuntu uses Unity, Mint uses either MATE or Cinnamon - they're all very different from each other.

Mint does some of the common post-install tasks for you with better out-of-the-box support for hardware and multimedia formats (nothing you can't install manually in Ubuntu though), and has a different selection of default applications. The core system is pretty much the same, the main difference being the window manager (compiz >< muffin / metacity) and the shell (unity >< cinnamon / mate-panel).
sofasufi

Post by sofasufi »

Hi HenryBear & welcome to the Mint community!

I looked @ Ubuntu with the Unity desktop & decided to go for Mint 13 Cinnamon - I chose 13 as it based on Ubunto 12.04 & is therefore very stable & supported until April 2017! It's much lighter in terms of the packages it comes with, but you have access to the entire Ubuntu pool of apps, so there's no sacrifice of choice there. For what it's worth, my advice would be to stick with Mint if it's fast on your system. Ubuntu seem intent on pushing the Unity interface on users, which is obviously up to them.

Let us know how you get on & what you finally choose.

Go well.

Sofa Sufi.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

I think the easiest way for you to compare would be down load the Ubuntu and Mint iso's of your choice and try them out. Both have a couple of desktops you can chose you need to google: mint cinnamon, mate, kde, xfce and you'll see they are quite different in appearance.

For most users Mint is the choice, usually cinnamon or mate; not to say there's any thing wrong with ubuntu but Mint gives a more conventional desktop and in lots of peoples opinion a better experience.
henrybear327

Post by henrybear327 »

I will go with Linux Mint 13.
Thank you guys for answering my question and giving me suggestions. It feels so great and warm to be in the Mint community.
( I just posted the questions two hours ago and you guys answered my question quickly and detailed!!)
Thanks again!!
:)

Return to “Beginner Questions”