gUFW (oops)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

gUFW (oops)

Postby snison on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:34 am

I was doing something I shouldn't, playing with root (a no, no), and now I have broken gUFW, among other things.
I used
Code: Select all
sudo passwd root

and when I found it broke some things (including nm-applet and services)
sudo passwd -l root

and have rebooted, twice. No change.

I'm not panicking so whenever you get time. TIA

I generally don't use salutation, valedication, or please when answering your questions. I'm not a jerk; you have a question, I have a possible solution.
snison
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: gUFW (oops)

Postby xenopeek on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:54 am

Applications that need root permissions to run, like gufw, ask you to authenticate yourself. You do that with your password. Not root's :wink: The root password is for logging in as root, like for the recovery mode console.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: gUFW (oops)

Postby snison on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:09 am

whenever I click the lock that is what shows....
doesn't give me the option

su-to-root -X -c gufw
is working, at least :)
I generally don't use salutation, valedication, or please when answering your questions. I'm not a jerk; you have a question, I have a possible solution.
snison
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions