Can't Copy Files from Network to Home Folder

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can't Copy Files from Network to Home Folder

Postby bobble on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:01 pm

I've tried searching for an answer to this, but my search terms are too common.
I've paged through pages and ages of the forum, but didn't find a solution. There's probably one there someplace, so just point me to it if there is.

My problem: Under Mint 13 Mate there was no problem copying from my NAS shared folders to and from my home folder. Now that I'm using Mint 14 Mate, I find that I can copy from my home folder to the NAS shared folders, but I can't copy from the NAS shared folders to the home folder.

Using the file manager (Caja) gui I can drag and drop files from my home folder to the Network shared folder, but not vice versa. When I drag and drop from the Network Folder I get a dialog that says copying the file, but nothing ever happens.

I've got ufw configured to allow samba in and out. Is there something else I need to configure? This is confusing because it seemed to work right out of the box with Mint 13 Mate.

Thanks
bobble
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't Copy Files from Network to Home Folder

Postby Lone.Wolf on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:04 pm

Two things you may want to check. Permissions on your home folder and how Samba is set up on the shared folder, does it require a password or something.
Lone.Wolf
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't Copy Files from Network to Home Folder

Postby bobble on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks, Lone.Wolf.

Permissions on the Home Folder appear to be OK. (drwxr)

No passwords are required on the shared folder.

In perusing the ubuntu forums pages it appears that this may be a common problem.
bobble
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions