Can't get superuser status

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can't get superuser status

Postby eamrnr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:11 pm

My login password for Linux Mint used to work for me to get superuser status, but today I tried to do that in Terminal and it told me that the password could not be authenticated. Anyone know why this has happened and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Ed
eamrnr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't get superuser status

Postby bjornmu on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:56 am

It works for running commands with sudo or tools from the desktop that needs it, but if you tried 'su' to change to the superuser, that requires the real root password which may be different. But you can get around that by doing 'sudo su' and give your password.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can't get superuser status

Postby nomko on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:31 am

eamrnr wrote:My login password for Linux Mint used to work for me to get superuser status, but today I tried to do that in Terminal and it told me that the password could not be authenticated. Anyone know why this has happened and how I can fix it?

What were you trying to do in the terminal? Which command? As you already might noticed, all passwords typed in the terminal stay blank. Have you tried re-typing your password? And still the same result?

Normally, when you want to execute a command in the terminal as superuser (sudo or su), your own user password provides you temporary root (sudo/su) privileges.

I can provide you some links with identical issues. It might provide you with a solution:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/152793/p ... on-failure
http://askubuntu.com/questions/150181/c ... a-password
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

My personal website
nomko
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions