Corrupted screen when trying to install with Radeon card

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
evilcartman

Corrupted screen when trying to install with Radeon card

Post by evilcartman »

I have installed Linux successfully in the past using Ubuntu (I think Feisty Fawn was the first version I used), which worked straight out of the tin. But a year or so ago, I upgraded from my old Nvidia card to an MSI Radeon R6670.

Unfortunately any attempt to run Linux with this card results in a start-up screen like this:

I did ask on the Ubuntu forums about this at the time, never got an answer and basically just gave up. I then tried Mint and had exactly the same problem.

Now I have got a new motherboard and CPU, so I thought it would be worth having another go with Mint 14 (XFCE 64-bit). I still get the same screen, which must be a worthy contender for exhibiting at the Tate Modern. ;)

I then found my old Nvidia card and tried Mint with that and it worked first time without any hassle, so it's definitely the Radeon card that's causing the trouble. I tried running the live DVD in "compatibility mode", which starts with the same corrupted screen and then pulls itself together and loads up the standard desktop screen (presumably using a VESA driver), so there's a ray of hope there.

Now I'm told that I probably need to install the proprietary driver that is downloadable from the AMD website. But I haven;t a clue how to do that when I don't even have a usable screen to do it with. :(

Can any of you guys help a poor newbie?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
evilcartman

Re: Corrupted screen when trying to install with Radeon card

Post by evilcartman »

Sorry if I haven't put it as an easy to-the-point question. Let me put it like this then:

How do I install the correct driver for this card when I am unable to get a usable screen? Is there a way I can at least get to a command line interface?
DrHu

Re: Corrupted screen when trying to install with Radeon card

Post by DrHu »

Use the live/hybrid CD provided for the distro:
  • Start in recovery mode
  • Download the amd/ati graphics driver for your card
  • Save it in your /home directory(folder) or onto a usb drive (you will need to mount the USB drive, use /media or /mnt as the location for the usb device (/media/myusb/.. (it should then appear))
  • You can use a text based browser to get/fetch or http/ftp the file from amd
  • If these are not options, find an internet cafe or a Library or other free wifi spot and get the file onto a usb drive (they are cheap)
  • Or buy a better graphics card that is latter amd more supported via the AMD site, but check the info "Linux + card model + amd driver" in order to proceed more easily..

Return to “Beginner Questions”