Oli

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Oli

Postby jimisbell on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:09 pm

I have no idea what "Oli" is. It is a folder that has intercepted all my personal folders and wont let go. My home folder is "Jim" then under that folder there should be folders called "pictures", "videos", "tools" etc etc BUT some how a folder with the name "Oli" has gotten between them so the tree is Jim-Oli-Pictures. Many years ago with DOS I could have fixed this, but with Linux, it doesnt seem fixable. I have tried just dragging and dropping the folders from "Oli" to "Jim" but it doesnt work. In fact I cannot drag and drop ANYTHING into the folder "Jim"!!!

It is infuriating because trying to find a file I know is in a folder called "pictures" and there are several folders called "pictures" that I cannot consolidate, is driving me to drink.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.
thefreerepublicat.wordpress.com
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Oli

Postby grimdestripador on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:54 am

First step is to save you files by backing them up. Somewhere not on your computer or main hard disk.

Second step is to use your dos skills

Take ownership of your home folder (optional)
Code: Select all
sudo chown -Rv `whoami`:`whoami` ~/*

Move those pictures
Code: Select all
sudo mv -Rv ~/oli/Pictures ~/Pictures
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions