(CLOSED) Plymouth resolution not correct

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

(CLOSED) Plymouth resolution not correct

Postby debbie on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:18 am

I am using Linux Mint Maya Cinnamon and having had a black boot screen for some time I found out how to correct this with

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
sudo update-initramfs -u

Now though, the resolution is out ouf sorts and needs to be adjusted to a 1400 x 900 screen. I am using Nvida graphics with 295.40 drivers.

I would also mention whilst in here that there is no plymouth splash when I shutdown either, although this is not so important to me.

Having got the Plymouth splash successfully on my screen at startup I don't want to lose it if I can avoid it by trying to correct the resolution.

Is there a foolproof way of doing this please and if so,what is it?

Many thanks :-)
Last edited by debbie on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
debbie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Plymouth resolution not correct

Postby Dave W. on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:03 am

Hello debbie,
Maybe you might want to investigate this solution. I don't know if it will work. This is from Crunchbang, but I have used it on my Nvidia box with other distros though.

Here is the link. http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10839 See the first post by cchhrriiss. That is where the answer is. The rest is pretty much banter.

His reference to line 16 is line 21 for Mint I think.

Make sure you do a sudo update-grub after editing, but most importantly backup your grub.

Goodluck!
Dave
LMDE cinnamon 64 bit
Manjaro 0.8.8 Ascella Gnome amd64
Dave W.
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions