Installed Mint 10 with unetbootin

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mstash

Installed Mint 10 with unetbootin

Post by mstash »

I installed Mint 10 Mate with unetbootin on my Lenovo S10-3t and tried to update to Mint 14 Mate, but when I try to update with Update Manager, It won't update any files. It always says that the issue is a Failed to fetch ... 404 Not found. For example:

W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... 2_i368.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.200 80]

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... u1_all.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.202 80]

etc etc.

I can't even connect to the wireless network so I am currently sharing my internet connection with my MacBook Pro using an Ethernet cable.

Could that be the issue and if so, how can I resolve this? It is still running Mint 10 Mate. I tried installing Mint 14 Mate but the Lenovo wasn't recognizing the USB drive. Said it wasn't bootable even though I used unetbootin with the Mint 14 Mate x64 iso with it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thegreatgazoo

Re: Installed Mint 10 with unetbootin

Post by thegreatgazoo »

I believe meant 10 is no longer supported and you will not receive any updates.

As far as mint 14 goes maybe you should try downloading the 32-bit version.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
mstash

Post by mstash »

So how would I go about install Mint 14 Mate without having a USB or CD/DVD drive?
thegreatgazoo

Post by thegreatgazoo »

You should be able to boot of of a USB drive. I have that laptop and have installed mint 13 from a USB drive. Maybe unetbootin didn't do a good job. I've had that happen before. Just delete all the files on the USB and try unetbootin again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
mstash

Post by mstash »

Is there a way to upgrade to Mint 14 Mate from Mint 10 Mate without using a DVD or USB bootable drive?
passerby

Post by passerby »

Pointing your repos to 14 instead of 10, I guess? (By changing Julia to Nadia in your software sources)
There's always mint4win, but that requires a Windows installation AFAIK.
Either way, a clean install is definitely recommended. DVDs and USB flash drives are cheap nowadays anyway.

Return to “Beginner Questions”