All I want to do is add a plug-in to GIMP

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zerkulo31

All I want to do is add a plug-in to GIMP

Post by zerkulo31 »

I've come back after several years to try Linux again. I've been enjoying Mint 13 for the last week until today. Making things work in Linux is still an uphill battle.

All I want to do is add a plug-in to GIMP. I got it to work in windows eventuall but in Linux I need to make a .py executeable to get it to work? How do I do this? I got pyinstaller, but can't even figure out how to install it=/

If someone can help that would be great, otherwise I'll leave it for another few years and try again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thegreatgazoo

Re: All I want to do is add a plug-in to GIMP

Post by thegreatgazoo »

To make something executable, just open a file manager, "right-click" it and select "properties", select the "permissions" tab and check the box that says "allow executing file as program"

Also, to install the plugin, you just need to copy the extension.py file into the right folder. That's it, gimp will see it the next time you open it.
The folder is hidden in your home directory. Press "ctrl +h" to show hidden files and navigate to: /home/user/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins/
Just copy your plugins in here.
zerkulo31

Re: All I want to do is add a plug-in to GIMP

Post by zerkulo31 »

Thanks so much for that. I didn't see that mentioned in any of the search results that came up. It was driving me nuts.

Now I can go back to enjoying Mint!

Return to “Beginner Questions”