[Solved] Installation Repair

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[Solved] Installation Repair

Postby Gandalf the White on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:54 am

Is it possible to repair an installation of LinuxMint O/S, or do you have reinstall the O/S?

Thanks
Last edited by Gandalf the White on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OS -LinuxMint 64-bit, Release 17, DE: Cinnamon
Reminder: Add [SOLVED] at the beginning of your original subject header.
Gandalf the White
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installation Repair

Postby DataMan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:04 am

You'll need to be a bit more specific. What constitutes a repair? How far are you into the installation?

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Gandalf the White on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:46 pm

DataMan wrote:You'll need to be a bit more specific. What constitutes a repair? How far are you into the installation?

-DataMan

I think it was as a result of an update or an upgrade. After rebooting, the Cinnamon Desktop was gone, if that is the correct terminology. Instead of the typical look of Cinnamon, now I have what looks like two panels. One at the top and one at the bottom of the monitor. At the upper left corner it reads Applications then Places.

I tried to reinstall Cinnamon via the Synaptic Manager. By searching for Cinnamon, six packages appear. I click on them to generate a re-installation of the six packages. Unfortunately, after rebooting, nothing had changed.

I'm running out of ideas. Being new with Linux to begin with, I'm just a bit out of my league.
Gandalf the White
Level 2
Level 2

Postby zerozero on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:40 pm

what you are describing is fallback mode (usually a result of broken graphics cards drivers)
open a terminal and post back the output of
Code: Select all
inxi -Gx

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Gandalf the White on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:13 pm

zerozero wrote:what you are describing is fallback mode (usually a result of broken graphics cards drivers)
open a terminal and post back the output of
Code: Select all
inxi -Gx

inxi -Gx

Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series] bus-ID: 01:05.0
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Gandalf the White
Level 2
Level 2

Postby usbtux on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:04 am

Have you just installed/ uninstalled a graphics driver (Radeon maybe) - I had exactly the same problem yesterday, just after updating.
Oh I see it is a Radeon...

But I had a backup previous to the graphic driver install so every thing is good now.
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17 Cinnamon/KDE/XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850
usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Gandalf the White on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:43 pm

usbtux wrote:Have you just installed/ uninstalled a graphics driver (Radeon maybe) - I had exactly the same problem yesterday, just after updating.
Oh I see it is a Radeon...

But I had a backup previous to the graphic driver install so every thing is good now.

I'm happy for you, but how do I fix my problem?
Gandalf the White
Level 2
Level 2

Postby CtrlAltDel on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Yes, Gandalf, it's possible to do a repair install. I'm not sure what the issue is that you are having or how to fix it; there may be an easier way but, I can't comment on that because I don't know.

But, I can help you with a repair install. Basically, you use your installation disk and go back through the whole routine of reinstalling your OS BUT, do not change anything or make anything at all different than what it was when you originally installed it.

Don't format the partitions, don't change the size of the partitions, don't change anything. Just reinstall and do every single thing just as you did when you first installed. Even the name of the computer that you entered in during the original installation has to be the same.

Here are some more instructions that you need to read also. Follow the link:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=46998

I followed this procedure one time when I had issues with my repositories and software manager and it fixed them right up and didn't harm my installation at all. It didn't affect anything, really, it just fixed what was wrong.
i3-2120 Processor
Intel HD Graphics 2000
8 GB Memory - 1 TB HD
Mint 17 Cinnamon 64bit
CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Gandalf the White on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 am

Which Installation type do I select? I know the middle one is out.
Gandalf the White
Level 2
Level 2

Postby CtrlAltDel on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:51 am

Gandalf the White wrote:Which Installation type do I select? I know the middle one is out.

Gandalf, I'll try to walk you through it step by step if you agree to come back and let us know if it worked or not. :-) I'll be going to sleep after this post though, so if you need anymore help I probably won't be back 'till tomorrow late.

From the beginning:

Install installation disk
Click on Install Linux Mint icon
Select Language
Select Continue on next dialog box
After this, you will select Something Else

Now you will see your previous partitions as you had them set up originally. You have to manually select each partition and redo it exactly how it was the first time.

You will click on a partition and then select change and another dialog box will appear.

In this box, for each individual partition, you will leave Partition Size alone. You don't want to change the size of the partitions.

In the Use As box, you choose the exact same type of partition as you used for that particular partition originally. For instance, if you click on your boot partition, you will again want to designate it as a boot partition. You have to redo it, you can't just leave it alone, you have to redo it again and designate it again as the boot partition.

For your ext.4 partitions, you have to make them ext. 4 again. Same for swap if you have one. You have to redo it and make it swap again.

DO NOT FORMAT ANY OF THEM! Recheck each one as you are doing them and make sure have not selected the format box by accident.

The mount points for each partition must also be the same. You will have to select /boot for your original boot file, /home for your original home, etc...

At the bottom of each dialog box will be a text input box that says (Device for Boot Loader Installation). This should already be correct and you should not have to change it on any of the partitions so don't be confused by that.

After you've redone each partition this way, you hit next or continue, I can't remember which.

Then you will proceed to entering in your name. Make sure it is just the same. Check your computer now, before you Repair Install, and see the exact case of your home folder name and the exact name so you can enter it in when the time comes. For instance, if your home folder name is John with a capital J, you would want to enter in the name of the computer as John with a capital J again.

Something that may really help before you get started would be to copy down your directory and types and devices on a piece of paper from the System Monitor. That way, when you get in there doing it, you will be able to know just how you had it set up the first time.

See my System monitor here:

i3-2120 Processor
Intel HD Graphics 2000
8 GB Memory - 1 TB HD
Mint 17 Cinnamon 64bit
CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4

Postby usbtux on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:26 pm

http://youtu.be/kBrRL6iG0NM using the installer (ubiquity) after setting up your partitions. Or installing over an existing install partitions.
As CtrlAltDel pointed out do not format your partitions.

My original post pointed to the necessity to backup your system. Doesn't help you now, but its all a learning process.
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17 Cinnamon/KDE/XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850
usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Postby CtrlAltDel on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:46 pm

usbtux wrote:http://youtu.be/kBrRL6iG0NM using the installer (ubiquity) after setting up your partitions. Or installing over an existing install partitions.
As CtrlAltDel pointed out do not format your partitions.

My original post pointed to the necessity to backup your system. Doesn't help you now, but its all a learning process.

Nice tutorials and a nice site, usbtux. Well done.
i3-2120 Processor
Intel HD Graphics 2000
8 GB Memory - 1 TB HD
Mint 17 Cinnamon 64bit
CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mtbvfr on Wed May 21, 2014 2:12 am

CtrlAltDel wrote:I followed this procedure one time when I had issues with my repositories and software manager and it fixed them right up and didn't harm my installation at all. It didn't affect anything, really, it just fixed what was wrong.

So, were your System Settings and things like Firefox History, Session and Bookmarks data still asthey were before the Installation Repair?

What about the Boot Loader/EFI partiton? Will a computer that is configured for Dual Booting with Windows 8.1 Professional be adversely affected by Installation Repair?

Please look at the following topic for information regarding my problem.

Allow Administrator account Read Write access to "/" Folder

Thanks, Michael.
Mint 16 KDE 64bit/Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
Lenovo B590,Core i5-3230M/HD4000,8GB DDR3,Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 Ethernet,Broadcom BCM4313 802.11bgn,Dell ST2220T Monitor,Huawei E3131 USB 3G Modem,Logitech M570,MS Comfort Curve 3000,Netgear WNR834B v2 Router
mtbvfr
Level 2
Level 2

Postby CtrlAltDel on Wed May 21, 2014 10:48 pm

mtbvfr wrote:
CtrlAltDel wrote:I followed this procedure one time when I had issues with my repositories and software manager and it fixed them right up and didn't harm my installation at all. It didn't affect anything, really, it just fixed what was wrong.

So, were your System Settings and things like Firefox History, Session and Bookmarks data still asthey were before the Installation Repair?

What about the Boot Loader/EFI partiton? Will a computer that is configured for Dual Booting with Windows 8.1 Professional be adversely affected by Installation Repair?

Please look at the following topic for information regarding my problem.

Allow Administrator account Read Write access to "/" Folder

Thanks, Michael.

Michael, I would hate to give you information that may not be correct. I really have no idea if this procedure would work with your setup. Mine was just a single user account with only Linux Mint installed. Sorry.

As far as Firefox history, etc..., I just don't remember if any of that was affected or not.
i3-2120 Processor
Intel HD Graphics 2000
8 GB Memory - 1 TB HD
Mint 17 Cinnamon 64bit
CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions