[Solved] Installation Repair

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gandalf the White

[Solved] Installation Repair

Post by Gandalf the White »

Is it possible to repair an installation of LinuxMint O/S, or do you have reinstall the O/S?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Installation Repair

Post by DataMan »

You'll need to be a bit more specific. What constitutes a repair? How far are you into the installation?

-DataMan
Gandalf the White

DataMan wrote:You'll need to be a bit more specific. What constitutes a repair? How far are you into the installation?

-DataMan
I think it was as a result of an update or an upgrade. After rebooting, the Cinnamon Desktop was gone, if that is the correct terminology. Instead of the typical look of Cinnamon, now I have what looks like two panels. One at the top and one at the bottom of the monitor. At the upper left corner it reads Applications then Places.

I tried to reinstall Cinnamon via the Synaptic Manager. By searching for Cinnamon, six packages appear. I click on them to generate a re-installation of the six packages. Unfortunately, after rebooting, nothing had changed.

I'm running out of ideas. Being new with Linux to begin with, I'm just a bit out of my league.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

what you are describing is fallback mode (usually a result of broken graphics cards drivers)
open a terminal and post back the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Gandalf the White

zerozero wrote:what you are describing is fallback mode (usually a result of broken graphics cards drivers)
open a terminal and post back the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
inxi -Gx

Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series] bus-ID: 01:05.0
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Have you just installed/ uninstalled a graphics driver (Radeon maybe) - I had exactly the same problem yesterday, just after updating.
Oh I see it is a Radeon...

But I had a backup previous to the graphic driver install so every thing is good now.
Gandalf the White

usbtux wrote:Have you just installed/ uninstalled a graphics driver (Radeon maybe) - I had exactly the same problem yesterday, just after updating.
Oh I see it is a Radeon...

But I had a backup previous to the graphic driver install so every thing is good now.
I'm happy for you, but how do I fix my problem?
Gandalf the White

Which Installation type do I select? I know the middle one is out.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

http://youtu.be/kBrRL6iG0NM using the installer (ubiquity) after setting up your partitions. Or installing over an existing install partitions.
As CtrlAltDel pointed out do not format your partitions.

My original post pointed to the necessity to backup your system. Doesn't help you now, but its all a learning process.
mtbvfr

Post by mtbvfr »

CtrlAltDel wrote:I followed this procedure one time when I had issues with my repositories and software manager and it fixed them right up and didn't harm my installation at all. It didn't affect anything, really, it just fixed what was wrong.
So, were your System Settings and things like Firefox History, Session and Bookmarks data still asthey were before the Installation Repair?

What about the Boot Loader/EFI partiton? Will a computer that is configured for Dual Booting with Windows 8.1 Professional be adversely affected by Installation Repair?

Please look at the following topic for information regarding my problem.

Allow Administrator account Read Write access to "/" Folder

Thanks, Michael.

Return to “Beginner Questions”