LM13 What do I do with a tar.bz2 file..

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

LM13 What do I do with a tar.bz2 file..

Postby PeDr0 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:59 pm

Linux mint 13 question, well actually general Linux question I think:

What do I do with a tar.bz2 program installation file that after I download it.. I know I can either open it with Archive manager or Archive mounter but what do I actually do with the contents of the folder that it produces after I extract it. For example if I download: Firefox firefox-18.0.1.tar.bz2 how do I install it. I am just fed up with having folders on my desktop for example and running the program directly..what is the correct procedure? :?
PeDr0
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LM13 What do I do with a tar.bz2 file..

Postby PeDr0 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:09 pm

O.K. I think I just answerd my own question:http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158

Just put the Program folder in my home folder right.. :)
PeDr0
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LM13 What do I do with a tar.bz2 file..

Postby TheDynamicHamza21 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 pm

Is there any particular reason you downloaded the tarball of firefox? Firefox 18 is latest version you easily update to it by visiting the mozilla page.
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

or use the update manager. The manager should have firefox ready to be installed since the default firefox of mint 13 is ff11.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

www.domeshotsandfatlaces.com
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions