having issues with an iso file I downloaded?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

having issues with an iso file I downloaded?

Postby stephen4785 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:50 am

I downloaded a torrent iso file. I installed furious iso mount and mounted the iso image. An icon pops up on my desktop with the file name so I open it and the only thing I see is 4 folders. Iv tried going through the folders and and the only program files I see are a bunch of .rsd files.
What am I doing wrong? I assumed that I could just mount the iso file and then open it and everything should work but my newb powers have been exhausted.
Linux mint 13 cinamon
stephen4785
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: having issues with an iso file I downloaded?

Postby Orbmiser on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:57 am

No you Do not Mount the Iso file. You burn it to DVD and then boot with it.

Nero,Imgburn and others allow you to burn ISO to disc.
If not plenty of free programs that will just google them freeware burn iso to disc.
Imgburn is free and highly recommended.
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/ImgBurn/1128426215/1
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby stephen4785 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:15 am

Orbmiser wrote:No you Do not Mount the Iso file. You burn it to DVD and then boot with it.

Nero,Imgburn and others allow you to burn ISO to disc.
If not plenty of free programs that will just google them freeware burn iso to disc.
Imgburn is free and highly recommended.
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/ImgBurn/1128426215/1

The only problem is that the dvd drive in this desktop doesnt work after I installed linux so I was trying to run the iso file without having to burn it to a disk. I guess I should focus on why my dvd drive doesnt work. I tried using the ädditional drivers"app but it doenst recognize the drive so Im not sure how to manually add the driver. Or where to get the driver from since its an old desktop.
stephen4785
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wayne128 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:33 am

have never come across Linux iso file that is in rsd format
Code: Select all

.RSD File Extension
RealSQL Database File
Database File   
The .RSD file format is a database file used by REALbasic, a programming language based on the BASIC. These .RSD files can be accessed using standard SQL commands.

i guess you torrent file is not Linux iso?
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Postby stephen4785 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:46 am

wayne128 wrote:have never come across Linux iso file that is in rsd format
Code: Select all

.RSD File Extension
RealSQL Database File
Database File   
The .RSD file format is a database file used by REALbasic, a programming language based on the BASIC. These .RSD files can be accessed using standard SQL commands.

i guess you torrent file is not Linux iso?

Im pretty sure itś for windows. I didnt even think about it being different. Is there any thing I can do?
stephen4785
Level 1
Level 1

Postby thegreatgazoo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:26 am

Question: Is this a Linux Mint LiveCD .iso that you are trying to mount under windows? Or is this some random .iso file that you are trying to open and explore.

If this is a Linux Mint liveCD, then as mentioned before, you do not explore it within windows, you burn it to a dvd and boot up with it.
If you cannot boot up with a disc, then you can use a program like "unetbootin" to take that same .iso file and extract it to a usb drive and make it bootable.

Also, if this is Linux Mint you are trying to use, please make sure you got the torrent from the Linuxmint.com download page, and not from some random search from the torrent sites. Anyone can create a .iso file with anything on it and call it "linuxmint.iso" and post it on a torrent site.
thegreatgazoo
Level 3
Level 3

Postby stephen4785 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 pm

thegreatgazoo wrote:Question: Is this a Linux Mint LiveCD .iso that you are trying to mount under windows? Or is this some random .iso file that you are trying to open and explore.

If this is a Linux Mint liveCD, then as mentioned before, you do not explore it within windows, you burn it to a dvd and boot up with it.
If you cannot boot up with a disc, then you can use a program like "unetbootin" to take that same .iso file and extract it to a usb drive and make it bootable.

Also, if this is Linux Mint you are trying to use, please make sure you got the torrent from the Linuxmint.com download page, and not from some random search from the torrent sites. Anyone can create a .iso file with anything on it and call it "linuxmint.iso" and post it on a torrent site.

I have cinamon installed on the desktop already. The file is rosetta stone. Iv searched and it seems like a lot of people have trouble trying to run rosetta stone with linux.
stephen4785
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions