Low Disk Space on Windows install?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Low Disk Space on Windows install?

Postby mrdziuban on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:11 am

I just installed Mint 14 (Cinnamon) on my Acer Aspire One AO722 using the Windows installer. I chose to allot 20 GB of space to Mint thinking that this would be fine, however now Mint is telling me that there is "low disk space" with only 95 MB remaining. I've only installed one application (Chrome) so I don't know what the problem is. I tried using Baobab to show what was taking up so much space, but it only shows about 7 GB being used on the 'Main Volume.' When I go into the file system and select all the folders, right click, and choose 'Properties' it shows that the folders total well over 20 GB. So basically, I'm very confused as to why these numbers are different and curious to find out what could be taking up so much space. Or maybe the Windows installation did not provide the proper amount of space? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
mrdziuban
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Low Disk Space on Windows install?

Postby mrdziuban on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:37 am

Realized that the problem was that I did not complete the installation from within Mint. Now my question is: if I ever choose to uninstall Mint, is it as simple as doing it from within Windows?
mrdziuban
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Low Disk Space on Windows install?

Postby passerby on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 am

I haven't used mint4win, but if it's like wubi for ubuntu (and I assume it is), it's as simple as going to control panel in windows and uninstalling it like a normal application.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions