Lost files in cut/paste (Noob101)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Lost files in cut/paste (Noob101)

Postby ch4llenger on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:27 am

Hello there,

I really need your help! I am new to Linux Mint and so far I am loving this system! But now I am in a world of trouble!
I wanted to cut/paste all my documents and pictures (worth over 20GB) from my Linux Mint laptop to my flash drive, and
when it finished, I rushed to pull it out without safely unmounting it (really stupid of me :( ). Right after that I mounted
it on my Windows 7 PC and found nothing on it. It's a 32GB flash drive and it indicated as empty. So I rushed back to my
laptop (with Linux Mint) and couldn't find my files on it either. I have Mint 14 Nadia, lost all my files (all my documents
and photographs with sentimental value) through cut/paste and I am desperate for any of yours help! I used this method,
because I percepted it as faster then copy/paste.

Please help me to recover my files!

Ch4llenger
ch4llenger
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Lost files in cut/paste (Noob101)

Postby passerby on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:38 am

Same speed as copy and paste if you're copying/moving between two different devices/partitions, AFAIK.
Anyway, enable hidden folders and take a look on your flash drive. You may have a trash or lost & found folder present.
Not sure what the norm is in this situation, but I've found files I thought were gone for good by doing so.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby xenopeek on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:46 am

Yes, you shouldn't rip out a USB stick :( Unmount it from the context menu of its icon on your desktop, or on Cinnamon from the removable devices applet in the panel. Then wait for the light on your USB stick to stop flashing, as it finishes writing data to storage from cache.

Recovery is perhaps possible with extundelete. I have no experience with that, but see example of use here: http://everydaylht.com/howtos/system-ad ... le-system/. I'd recommend you boot from the Linux Mint installation DVD / USB stick, so as to minimize new writes to your hard disk. You can install extundelete from there if you have a working Internet connection, and it will install in RAM and not on your hard disk.

Ubuntu wiki has a topic about data recovery also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery. Doesn't seem to helpful though, except for the obvious remark about making backups :|
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby ch4llenger on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:07 am

passerby wrote:Same speed as copy and paste if you're copying/moving between two different devices/partitions, AFAIK.
Anyway, enable hidden folders and take a look on your flash drive. You may have a trash or lost & found folder present.
Not sure what the norm is in this situation, but I've found files I thought were gone for good by doing so.

I have tried that, my friend. Lost&Found was empty, no hidden folders or files, and the trash bin is empty (while mounted with the flash drive).
ch4llenger
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions