Doc file corrupted using Libre Office, XFCE, Mint 14

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Doc file corrupted using Libre Office, XFCE, Mint 14

Postby oaxacamatt on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi all,
I have a serious problem with Libre Office (Version 3.6.2.2 (Build ID: 360m1(Build:2)) while using Mint 14 which has XFCE running as the window manager.
I am having serious trouble with Libre Office. I have been using boxes in the body of the text to separate data and graphcs, etc. I have also been using the math formula to add in statistical formula that show my work. BUT when I save the work and open the *.doc later I find the doc is corrupted and that info is lost and the math formulae are poorly sized. I can determine what is going on. I do not believe I changed the defualts on Libre Office to that extent.
Really troubling...
oaxacamatt
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Doc file corrupted using Libre Office, XFCE, Mint 14

Postby CtrlAltDel on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:48 pm

oaxacamatt wrote:Hi all,
I have a serious problem with Libre Office (Version 3.6.2.2 (Build ID: 360m1(Build:2)) while using Mint 14 which has XFCE running as the window manager.
I am having serious trouble with Libre Office. I have been using boxes in the body of the text to separate data and graphcs, etc. I have also been using the math formula to add in statistical formula that show my work. BUT when I save the work and open the *.doc later I find the doc is corrupted and that info is lost and the math formulae are poorly sized. I can determine what is going on. I do not believe I changed the defualts on Libre Office to that extent.
Really troubling...

You can wait around here 'till someone comes along that may be able to help you with this but, you would probably get a lot faster answer here:

http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/questions/

or here:

http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=c72f41b60cd0910eb51a1f2887d521b9
Last edited by CtrlAltDel on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
i3-2120 Processor
Intel HD Graphics 2000
8 GB Memory - 1 TB HD
Mint 17 Cinnamon 64bit
CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jungle_boy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:27 pm

To avoid problems, it is best to use Libreoffice default extension (odt), not .doc, proprietary extension.
LM17 Cinnamon (PC and Notebook) with AMD Catalyst
HP Pavilion g4-1316br, AMD Quad Core, 1,5 GHz, Radeon 6520G/7450M,
Linuxcounter Registered User #506065 (2008)
jungle_boy
Level 6
Level 6

Postby takeMYfins on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:30 am

Why did you save the document into .doc instead of .odt? I think you want to open the document in MS Word as well, it seems to be the only reason behind this. The file is saved in .doc extension, so this could be a plus point here. You must be MS Office Word user since you saved the document in .doc. You must give a try to Open and Repair of MS Word. By doing this you can fix corrupted document. If this doesn't help, then you can go for a third-party recovery software. On Google you'll get a wide range of MS Word Doc recovery software, choose any reliable one and check its demo version first. I can recommend you to check the free demo version of SysInfoTools MS Word Doc Recovery software. I have used a couple of times.
Good luck.
Regards. :D
takeMYfins
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions