Graphic performance issues in awesome-wm

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yellu

Graphic performance issues in awesome-wm

Post by yellu »

Hi!

I am quite new to Linux, Mint is my first experience and I love it so far.

I have a Nvidia GTX 660 card and have the latest proprietary driver installed. Under cinnamon, everything works just fine, there is minimal screen tearing, even Team Fortress 2 runs fluently on high graphic details.

But once I change to awesome-wm the graphical performance gets noticeably worse. Moving / resizing windows and scrolling create many screen tearings and artifacts - games like Team Fortress 2 become unplayable due to very low fps. The same effect occurs in openbox and xfce - but strangly not in kde.

Do you guys have a clue what the problem is? Does it have to do with awesome-wm not having a compositor?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
setrofim

Re: Graphic performance issues in awesome-wm

Post by setrofim »

Having the same issue. Were you able to resolve it (or does anyone else knows how it may be resolved)?

Interestingly, I can play full screen HD video with no tearing, yet when I scroll in Firefox, I get pretty bad artifacts. I have tried running awesome with and without xcompmgr compositor. With xcompmgr, I start to get tearing in video too, but makes little difference otherwise.

My graphics card:

Code: Select all

$inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Barts XT [Radeon HD 6800 Series] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Beginner Questions”