Notebook battery life vs. Ubuntu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Notebook battery life vs. Ubuntu

Postby tsuby on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:20 pm

Would Linux Mint(Cinnamon) have a better battery life than Ubuntu(Unity) ?
I already have Ubuntu on my noteboook and I use the Bumblebee project to improve battery life time(altough it is still 2h less than on Windows).
Also, are there different drivers for components on Mint than on Ubuntu? I would like a better driver to improve my wireless signal(it's better in Windows).
tsuby
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Notebook battery life vs. Ubuntu

Postby passerby on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:21 pm

I'd think your battery life would remain much the same. If you want better battery life you'll see more variation between kernels than DE's, in my experience.
You might get better battery life with a less demanding DE such as xfce, but overall the DE doesn't make much difference, at least in my experience.
You should give powertop a try if you want to extend your battery life.

The wireless should be much the same. You may get better support for your wireless card in mint by using mintwifi and attempting to install the proprietary windows driver.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby bb333 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:59 am

tsuby wrote:Would Linux Mint(Cinnamon) have a better battery life than Ubuntu(Unity) ?
I already have Ubuntu on my noteboook and I use the Bumblebee project to improve battery life time(altough it is still 2h less than on Windows).
Also, are there different drivers for components on Mint than on Ubuntu? I would like a better driver to improve my wireless signal(it's better in Windows).

Code: Select all
$ sudo apt-get install powertop

Code: Select all
$ sudo powertop

Do what it tells you to do to save more battery. You must run each time on battery as settings do not save. Saving 2hrs on battery life is very doable with powertop.
bb333
Level 2
Level 2

Postby tsuby on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:24 am

Thank you, I'll try powertop.
tsuby
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions