[solved] Daryna: Stuck application launch menu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[solved] Daryna: Stuck application launch menu

Postby tovento on Tue May 13, 2008 5:31 pm

Hey there everyone. Played with Daryna a few months ago and went over to Hardy Heron (I had some issues with mint at the time). After playing with Hardy, I'm back to Mint and am patiently awaiting Elyssa.

I've gotten everything pretty much set up the way I want it, but I'm having an issue with the application launch menu (the equivalent of Windows Start menu). Lets say I do a fresh boot, and log in. I now click on the "Daryna" name and get the menu pop up. I then click on "Control Center" (for example). Voila, control center loads, but the menu is still on the screen! I click in the desktop area: no effect. I click on "Daryna": no effect. It does stay behind applications, but it is always there! It is functional as well, as I can select applications to run, etc. The really odd thing is that if I switch virtual desktops, the menu is up in all of them.

Now, this started happening since I accidentally clicked on "Applications" in the menu. This hid the applications part of the menu. I clicked on the button and restored it, but now every time I use the menu, it stays up. Is it stuck in an editing mode? Anyone ever experience something like this? I've done some quick searching, but couldn't find anything related to my issue.

Thanks for any help you can give! I'm really hoping to make Mint my main OS (over XP), but I can't live with the start menu staying up.
Last edited by tovento on Wed May 14, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
tovento
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Daryna: Stuck application launch menu

Postby tovento on Tue May 13, 2008 5:39 pm

Okay, I'll post a reply to my own topic. Seemed that the menu was stuck in some sort of editing mode or something. Here's what I did to fix it (in case anyone else runs into this). I noticed that there was an extra side pane on the left of mint menu. By playing around and clicking here and there, I discovered right clicking on "daryna" brings up a menu with Preferences. Near the bottom of the selections, one option says "show_side_pane". I clicked this option and closed the preferences dialog. I then opened up preferences again and unclicked that option. Voila! No more side bar, and the mintmenu seems to work properly again.
tovento
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions