Dual Boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
boba

Dual Boot

Post by boba »

I got a new hard drive and installed Win7. I used the Windows partitioning to create 3 partitions. Win 7 is installed on the first, the second is blank, and Mint is installed on the 3rd. After a reboot I cannot get into Win7. Linux works perfectly, but something is amiss. Running repair on Windows does not find any problem. I can mount all three partitions without issue. BIOS does not list separate partitions, only the HDD as an option. Cannot sem to get into the Windows boot selection through function keys as Grub appears to load first.

Help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Dual Boot

Post by caf4926 »

Are you saying you never see a grub boot menu where you could select windows.

Something odd about what you say regarding the windows repair. If you did such a repair, you normally loose grub and can't boot Mint until you repair Grub. So did you actually do a windows repair?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

maybe this related to your problem.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/135272/h ... -partition
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
boba

Post by boba »

I see the grub menu, can choose win7 but then nothing happens. I attempted to repair windows, but it did not find anything wrong.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Please try this.

Boot to the Mint desktop
Open a terminal and do the following

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Once that is done
reboot and try windows again
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
boba

Post by boba »

sudo update-grub

no effect.
None of these options have worked either.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/135272/h ... -partition

Is there a way to delete grub and repair the MBR to get back to a functioning version of Windows? At this point I am going to give up on the dual boot and simply run Linux on a virtual. This is absolute nonsense trying to do what I thought was a simple dual OS boot.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

You need a windows DVD
Boot off the windows 7 installation DVD
Proceed to the screen "Windows 7 / Install Now" BUT DO NOT click to install
Select to "Repair your computer"
Select/put the radio button/dot next to "Use recovery tools that can help fix problems" --> Next
Select "command prompt"
enter this command: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
enter this command: Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
enter this command: exit
Click to Restart
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
boba

Post by boba »

You would think the Linux nerds would have this figured out. It is not a complicated idea. Separate partitions, separate OS's. Functional boot menu. Instead I get to waste hours of my life chasing my tail for nothing. No wonder people stick with Microsoft.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

boba wrote:You would think the Linux nerds would have this figured out. It is not a complicated idea. Separate partitions, separate OS's. Functional boot menu. Instead I get to waste hours of my life chasing my tail for nothing. No wonder people stick with Microsoft.
You might think that... but I couldn't possibly comment :)
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Paul T.
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Paul T. »

I too have a similar problem; have installed Mint alongside WinXP, Grub2 loads with options, if I select Mint all ok, but if I try WinXP screen goes blank momentarily then Grub re-appears?
Tried sudo update-grub, no difference and Boot Repair too which left this message, though still won't boot WinXP.
Screenshot.png
Paul T.
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Paul T. »

I've been unable to sort this dual boot issue so have repaired WinXP boot sector and am now back on Windows :(
What did I do wrong? Before installing Mint I created a new Ext4 partition to install it on to as per pic below:
Image1.jpg
'C' is obviously main Windows partition, I use 'D' for storing all my media files etc.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

This thread is getting confusing with different people bringing there issues in.

@Paul T
Did you post in another thread?
Where is swap? And didn't you have another HD in the mix?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Paul T.
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Paul T. »

I thought it better to post in this existing thread rather than start a new one.
No, I've not posted elsewhere, I'm new on here and this will be only my 3rd post. (Although I used to use the Ubuntu forum some years ago)
I didn't bother with a swap partition as I have 2gig memory and could create one later if needed.
No other HD installed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I would delete that ext4
Then create an extended to use all it's space, then create logical partitions for
swap 2GB
ext4 all the rest for Mint /

Then follow
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3e0lLG ... sp=sharing
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Beginner Questions”