Graphic software

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EugeneA

Graphic software

Post by EugeneA »

For PC and MAC we have Photoshop, but what good similar software exists for Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Graphic software

Post by Orbmiser »

What kind of graphic software?

I use Darktable a.k.a. a lot like Lightroom. For Image editing.

Darktable 1.1.2 by Orbmiser, on Flickr

version is up to 1.1.2
http://www.darktable.org/

There is also Rawtherapee which I haven't looked at yet.
http://rawtherapee.com/blog/features

Just comes down to how many tools & features you need. As there is Gimp,Shotwell,Gwenview,Digikam,etc...
For Artist is Gimp (photoshop like) Krita paint,My Paint,etc...

Just google search on linux painting or photo editing software.
As you weren't clear about what kind of graphics programs you need.
Most likely Gimp 2.8 is the one for most and installed by default for most distro's.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Hmm... Is this right?
Rawtherapee PPA for 12.10 is actually meant for Natty??
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Sorry haven't installed RawThrapee myself.
Might compare what's on their site.
http://rawtherapee.com/downloads

As they have a 32bit and 64bit version.
RT 4.0.9.157 for Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit (Branch: default), 2012-11-13 22:21

The version listed after that is for Natty? Guess repo's as usual behind the times.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Orbmiser wrote: Guess repo's as usual behind the times.
Behind the times??? We are at 12.10, 13.04 is on it's way and Natty is version 11.04. A big difference i say!
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

I have seen apps a year old in the repo's.
So yep make I make it a rule to check out web site for app first and compare version numbers.

As the repo only had darktable 1.0.5 and their is significant fixes and features added for latest 1.1.2.
And had to find another 3rd party repo to get the latest.
http://ppa.launchpad.net/pmjdebruijn/da ... ase/ubuntu

Norm for the course I guess.
EugeneA

Post by EugeneA »

Wow these programs looks great, I didn't know there were that many available. Since you mention Gimp is similar to Photoshop I will look into that. Thank a lot.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Yes, i've added that PPA already. And Rawtherapee through the standard repo's using synaptic.
Both tools looks great!
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep just installed RawTherapee myself as wanted to get around to it.
Had a lot more editing features than I thought at first glance a few months ago.

RawTherapee by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Liking it, Just may switch as seems more manageable learning curve. Darktable is great and all but overwhelming with options and sliders I have never came across in need to use in 5 years of photography.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Photoshop, especially the older V7, runs quite well with wine, so that's what I use. Gimp is similar to PS but harder to use. A far as I can tell, these other programs are pretty minimal in comparison, tho that would depend on what you're doing. If you want PS on linux, you can use it - read about your version at "appdb.winehq.org" first.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
kktheflyingscotsman

Post by kktheflyingscotsman »

hi, i have just saw that darktable is very like photoshop, i would love to try it out but is there any other apps i need to install? if so how and where do i go to install it as i need a stable version.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

kktheflyingscotsman wrote:hi, i have just saw that darktable is very like photoshop, i would love to try it out but is there any other apps i need to install? if so how and where do i go to install it as i need a stable version.
Darktable is not like Photoshop. It's a Photo Editing program like Lightroom. Gimp is more like Photoshop.
If you are needing tools for just editing images it may very well be darktable is what you need.
If you are needing layering and more Graphic artist like tools & features then Gimp would be the first choice.

You can run software center,synaptic,etc.. and search "darktable" as is already in the repo's.
Just select it to install.

Return to “Beginner Questions”