start up screen

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

start up screen

Postby duncan222 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:49 am

When booting up I get the option of which OS I wish to boot into, if it's windows then the usual logo appears whilst it's loading the necessary files. If I boot into Mint 14 then it's a blank screen until the files are loaded and then the usual Mint desktop is displayed.
Is it possible to load something into the boot files of Mint so something appears on the screen to indicate the files are loading ? I am aware this could slow down the boot process.

Thanks
duncan222
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: start up screen

Postby meteorrock on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:08 am

There is a grub customizer you can install that will give you a choice on what you want to see as you are booting up. Make sure this is what you want by looking at the site for grub customizer, you might lose that windows start up screen if you install this. It will be replaced with the Grub login that comes with linux mint.

Press Ctrl-Alt-T to call up Terminal, copy following codes and paste (Ctrl-Shift-V) them inside Terminal to install Grub Customizer.

Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

After installation, run Grub Customizer to set the default boot options with the following steps.
Press Alt-F2, type grub-customizer into the box and press Enter to run it.
Under the "General Settings" tab, select the default entry you like to boot up from the drop-down menu.
Adjust the timeout value if needed, then press the Close button and the Save button.

Avoid changing timeout to 0 seconds if you need to select a system to boot up from a multi-boot menu.
meteorrock
Level 3
Level 3

Re: start up screen

Postby passerby on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:11 am

What you're looking for is plymouth.
Quick fix is to open a terminal and run:
sudo apt-get install plymouth*
sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
sudo update-initramfs -u

Apparently it doesn't work reliably with some graphics drivers. I currently have no splash screen myself.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions