start up screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
duncan222

start up screen

Post by duncan222 »

When booting up I get the option of which OS I wish to boot into, if it's windows then the usual logo appears whilst it's loading the necessary files. If I boot into Mint 14 then it's a blank screen until the files are loaded and then the usual Mint desktop is displayed.
Is it possible to load something into the boot files of Mint so something appears on the screen to indicate the files are loading ? I am aware this could slow down the boot process.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
meteorrock

Re: start up screen

Post by meteorrock »

There is a grub customizer you can install that will give you a choice on what you want to see as you are booting up. Make sure this is what you want by looking at the site for grub customizer, you might lose that windows start up screen if you install this. It will be replaced with the Grub login that comes with linux mint.

Press Ctrl-Alt-T to call up Terminal, copy following codes and paste (Ctrl-Shift-V) them inside Terminal to install Grub Customizer.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install grub-customizer
After installation, run Grub Customizer to set the default boot options with the following steps.
Press Alt-F2, type grub-customizer into the box and press Enter to run it.
Under the "General Settings" tab, select the default entry you like to boot up from the drop-down menu.
Adjust the timeout value if needed, then press the Close button and the Save button.

Avoid changing timeout to 0 seconds if you need to select a system to boot up from a multi-boot menu.
passerby

Re: start up screen

Post by passerby »

What you're looking for is plymouth.
Quick fix is to open a terminal and run:

sudo apt-get install plymouth*
sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
sudo update-initramfs -u
Apparently it doesn't work reliably with some graphics drivers. I currently have no splash screen myself.

Return to “Beginner Questions”