software manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

software manager

Postby methodius on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:55 am

Hi everyone,
I have install for the first time ever Linux ( Mint 14 cinammon on hp pavilion dv6) and i can say this...i am impress!!!
After the 2nd time i install from usb i get very stable system, everything sims to work perfect so far only my Software manager freezes sometimes after open.
I have to closed it (forced) 2-3 times before runing someone any idea why?
Thanks in advance.
Linux Mint 14 Nadia/ Mate / 64-bit
methodius
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: software manager

Postby methodius on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:09 pm

methodius wrote:Hi everyone,
I have install for the first time ever Linux ( Mint 14 cinammon on hp pavilion dv6) and i can say this...i am impress!!!
After the 2nd time i install from usb i get very stable system, everything sims to work perfect so far only my Software manager freezes sometimes after open.
I have to closed it (forced) 2-3 times before runing someone any idea why?
Thanks in advance.

Solved.. software manager and then edit tab and uncheck the search in package summery
methodius
Level 1
Level 1

Postby transcendev on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:12 pm

You may also want to try the Synaptic Package Manager instead of the Mint Software thing... It's a lot faster. Mint's software center is pokey even on my fastest machines.
transcendev
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zikco on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:47 pm

This is a common issue. The software manager starts searching for what ever you've typed into the search box as soon as you've typed it.
And it searches EVERYWHERE in the repositories list, including summaries.

kc1di has a fix that might work in this post in another thread on the same issue: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=120274#p684929
For convenience, here's what to do:
kc1di wrote:go to Software manager and then edit tab and uncheck the search in package summery...

Synaptic's better at the job though, although it's not as easy to get into at first.

Have Fun! :)
Green Sapling
Linux Mint is a gateway distro. It can lead to experimentation with other, more "dangerous", distros. Use with caution. :P
Zikco
Level 1
Level 1

Postby methodius on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:39 am

Indeed Synaptic Package Manager works smoothly thanks guys..
methodius
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions