from ubuntu 10.04 to Mint 14

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

from ubuntu 10.04 to Mint 14

Postby openpat on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:30 am

I've been using ubuntu 10.04 for near 3 years on my laptop without any problem on the way. Let's say I'm a rather standard user (mail, office...)
I have to change since 10.04 is no more supported now. I've had a look on new ubuntu's edition and don't want unity. After a few moments on google, I found Mint which seems perfect for my needs.
My question is : How to migrate from 10.04 LTS to Mint 14 ? (my /home is not separated)

Thanks for your advices

openpat
openpat
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: from ubuntu 10.04 to Mint 14

Postby passerby on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:53 am

The most painfree way would be, IMO:
-Follow a guide like this to copy your home folder to a separate partition: http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/01/29/mov ... partition/
-Fresh install of the new OS, with the new partition used as /home (not formatted)

You'll need to reinstall most of your programs, but the configs should still be there.
Any reason for choosing Mint 14 over 13? 13 is LTS, and if you're fond of your current setup you could move to Mint 13 MATE rather seamlessly and stay there until 2017.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby meteorrock on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:59 am

You could just change the GUI of your linux build to a different desktop. It only takes a few commands in the terminal and a good internet connection.

Look here at this post to upgrade your kernels if you want I got in the forums here. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=124819

Then after you upgrade your kernels, you can then change over your desktop enviroment(DE). Say you want to look over cinnamon, which is a DE of linux mint.

1. Open a terminal window.

2. Type in the following commands then hit Enter after each.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

This way you can take a look over the DE without installing the WHOLE linux distro, unless of course you want to. The only difference between linux mint and ubuntu are a few package managers; like linux mint uses the synaptic manager, for upgrades, the "nautilus" file manager, or NEMO on cinnamon DE, which also uses that file manager to draw your desktop. Thats about it. Fonts are slightly different between Ubuntu and Mint. This way you can "remix' the linux build you got on your computer already and save your data and other files.

To apply nemo just run,

Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nemo

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope that helps you. :)
meteorrock
Level 3
Level 3

Postby openpat on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:40 am

Thanks for your answers !

@meteorrock : what build do you talk about ? 10.04 or a fresh 12.04 upgrade ? I've read on other forums that upgrades might cause problems... What will happen if I keep my 10.04 ?

@passerby : thanks for the link :) I think I will follow this advice which has the advantage of a fresh new install and to keep my /home
openpat
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions