Point User Directories to 2nd HDD

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Point User Directories to 2nd HDD

Postby geekfuze on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:32 am

I am recently coming from Windows 8 .. I am very interested in using Mint 14 as my daily driver.

I have Mint installed on a 120GB SSD. To concerve space I have all my media on a 2nd 1TB internal drive. I would like to change the Home directories (Docs, Pics, Music, Video, Etc.) to point to the directories on my 2nd hard drive. Any idea how to do this? I want to be able to click Home>Pictures and it show the pics on my 2nd hard drive. This would be very convenient.
geekfuze
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Point User Directories to 2nd HDD

Postby passerby on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:36 am

One way is mounting them manually, but I strongly suggest using this instead: http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
If you open Ubuntu Tweak and go to Admins > Personal > User Folder, you can easily select custom directories for your music, movie, etc. folders.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Point User Directories to 2nd HDD

Postby geekfuze on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:49 am

Thank you so much for replying so quickly. That utility is working like a charm. Once again thank you!
geekfuze
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions