Complicated corrupt kernel question [ SOLVED ]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gaytan

Complicated corrupt kernel question [ SOLVED ]

Post by Gaytan »

Hello Guys,

Since a short while I'm having a new addiction just like you guys; Linux Mint! And I love it!
I've got Linux Mint Nadia 14 on my 2008 iMac, alongside Mac OSX 10.8.2 and all goes well, but ......

When I try to install new software I each time run into this very same problem:

gaytan@iMac-LinuxMint ~ $ sudo dpkg --audit
[sudo] password for gaytan:
The following packages have been unpacked but not yet configured.
They must be configured using dpkg --configure or the configure
menu option in dselect for them to work:
linux Generic complete Linux kernel.
linux-image-generic Generic Linux kernel image
linux-image-extra-3.5.0-23-generic Linux kernel image for version 3.5.0 on 64
linux-generic Complete Generic Linux kernel and headers

The following packages are only half configured, probably due to problems
configuring them the first time. The configuration should be retried using
dpkg --configure <package> or the configure menu option in dselect:
linux-image-3.5.0-23-generic Linux kernel image for version 3.5.0 on 64 bit x8

When I try to 'dpkg --configure' each separate package, I each time get the message that the other package is not yet configured and dependency first must be resolved!
I have tried to dpkg --configure them all by '--reconfigure -a' but that does not work either; gives me error message(s) as well....

Anybody any clue how I can solve these problems?

Maybe go back 1 single kernel? And then upgrade again?

I'm not completely noob meaning I know how to manipulate terminal for simple(r) tasks but the rest I search on the internet!

I'd be very happy if someone could help me out!
:roll:

Thank you,

Gaytan
Netherlands
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Complicated corrupt kernel question

Post by jungle_boy »

It seems corrupted iso image.

Did you check md5sum of downloaded iso image?

What DE are you using (kde, mate, etc)?
Last edited by jungle_boy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Gaytan

Post by Gaytan »

Hi Thanks for answering!

I'm using Linux Mint Cinnamon version.
Checksums, for as far as I recall that is, were ok. Install on my iMac went fine, no problems.
Have only been fighting with Grub in the beginning. Got that repaired alright with Boot-repair latest version.
I can startup fine but fear I might have to reinstall because of this very problem…. Hope not though…. :oops:

Rgrds,

Gaytan
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

OK.

Reinstall it and tell us what happens...
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Gaytan

Post by Gaytan »

Yes, indeed; as I did not foresee many (useful) answers here I decided to reinstall; all working ok right now…
Guess it was an external package braking my kernel somehow…

I must say I love Linux Mint as it is right now but DO want to give a few hints / tips maybe, before Linux Mint really could be a viable alternative for well known distributions like Windows, Mac OSX etc…

- Grub /eLilo; when will those be replaced for a strong alternative? Windows / Mac OSX do NOT have anything breakable like this! For me ONE of the BIG DISadvantages still of Linux. This was such a DISappointment when I recently discovered these are still in use; nothing had changed since about 10 to 15 years ago when I first "met" Grub and / or (e)Lilo!
- Easy restore method (instead of a complete reinstall) for Linux; Mac OSX has TImeMachine; if ever something goes wrong; reinstall from TimeMachine and you're done; takes not a long time! TimeMachine runs constantly in the background; recording everything you do on the Mac; such a lovely (and FREE!) option to use!

Some positive remarks:
- As of Linux Mint Nadia 14.1 iso I noticed I did NOT have to fight my way through anymore for the correct Graphics Display adapter! What a relief!!!
- As of Linux Mint Nadia 14.1 iso I noticed I could (re)enter Linux Mint right after installing from LiveCD! What another relief! I've spent much time figuring out HOW to finally get control of Linux Mint again with 14.0 iso on my mac!

I really love OSX and even more Linux Mint as Apple is more and more restricting stuff people can do on an (i)Mac which is a real pain the butt.
Linux hopefully will only extend possibilities.

One thing disappointing to notice; all too many options are "copies" / imitated from Windows and Mac! That's a pity!
Ok, on the one hand it can make people "feel at home" when they work with Linux, on the other hand there must / should be 'other ways' to implement (more) handy(ire) things into the OS….

Thanks for your time and willingness to read my story!
:-)

Rgds,

Gaytan
:D
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

You are welcome.

Please, edit the subject of your first post and add [SOLVED], so who has the same problem will know how to solve it.
LM 21 Cinnamon

Return to “Beginner Questions”