Mint 14 run from pendrive, won't save/cache

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
furny0101

Mint 14 run from pendrive, won't save/cache

Post by furny0101 »

Running Mint 14 from pendrive due to dead HD which will not be replaced soon. This lets me do what I need to for time being.
Made Mint work on pendrive with the Universal USB installer. If I save something to Documents (Cinnamon DE) it does not save to the pendrive. The browser does not cache to the pendrive. It just keeps working until I max out my RAM.
It would be convienent if everything updated and saved to the pendrive so I could resume my tasks each time (like the pendrive was my computer's hard drive). Is it possible to do this? If so how?
Been looking and can't find the answer or just don't know the right question to ask.
Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BoscoBearbank
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 14 run from pendrive, won't save/cache

Post by BoscoBearbank »

I believe what you need is a persistence file/partition called casper-rw on your pen drive. I hate to refer you to Google, but I know I've seen explanations of how to do this, but don't recall the details. My preference is to do a full install on the pen drive. I've done it on a 2GB drive with an LXDE desktop, but an 8GB drive would be much better.
furny0101

Re: Mint 14 run from pendrive, won't save/cache

Post by furny0101 »

Thank you, that looks like just the thing.

Return to “Beginner Questions”